Wednesday 14 July 2010

"Flo's Letter"




A sweet little baby brother had come to live with Flo,
And she wanted it brought to the table that it might eat and grow;
'It must wait for a while' said Grandmama, in answer to her plea,
'For a little thing that hasn't teeth can't eat like you and me'.

'Why hasn't it teeth, dear gran'ma?' asked Flo in great surprisel
'Oh my! But isn't it funny? No teeth! But nose and eyes;
I guess the baby's toofies must have been forgot.
Can't we buy him some like grandpa's?  I'd like to know why not.'

That afternoon, to the corner, with papers, pen and ink,
Went Flo, saying 'Don't you talk - if you do you'll disturb my think.
I'm writing a letter gran'ma, to send to heaven tonight.
And 'cause its very important, I want to get it right.'

At last the letter was finished - a wonderful letter to see -
Directed up to heaven, and then Flo read it to me;
'Dear God, the baby you brought us was awfully nice and sweet,
But because you forgot his toofies, the poor little thing can't eat.'

'So that's why I'm writing this letter, on purpose to let you know
Please come and finish the baby - that's all, from little Flo.'

7 comments:

  1. Written by Eben E Rexford (b 1848 d.1916) I have this poem in a book called Everybody's Book of Recitations (very old) & lost it's cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to try to find the book for my mum who is 90 and asked me to find this poem for her!

      Delete
    2. Could you look in the book and see if there is a poem: 'I'm right up on a hilltop, almost in the sky And most of me is hidden because the grass is high'. I'd love to know the rest of the words!

      Delete
  2. I love this my granny taught me this poem in the 80s made my day seeimg it again. My daughter is reading it at her baby brothers christening

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Anonymous,
    Thank you so much. It is so good to hear the source of this poem. I have been looking for years as my family thought my parents had made it up.
    I have been searching for the book but can't find it anywhere.
    Many thanks again,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im 85 years old , and my mother used to recite it to me, and later to my daughters and grandchildren . Lovely memories seeing it again, thank you!
    There was another poem we loved which started:
    "When l was at the party," said Betty aged just four-----

    ReplyDelete