Wednesday 10 March 2010

MOTHERHOOD. Two contrasting views.

.
A MOTHER'S SACRIFICE  (from Punch 1909).

.... To a Suffragette, who on being brought before the Magistrate, made the following statement, according to the Daily Telegraph.
"I have a little son, eight months old, and his father and I decided, after calm consideration, that when that boy grew up he might ask 'What did you do mother, in the days of women's agitation, to lay women's grievances before the Prime Minister?' and I should blush if I had to say I made no attempt to go to the P.M."

And so, this boy of yours, years hence perusing
Records of women wronged by man-made laws,
May ask, an eager flush his face suffusing,
'What did you do to help the Women's Cause?'

If, when this searching question has arisen
You answer 'Nothing' , picture his surprise!
T'were better to endure the pains of prison
Than face the scorn in those reproving eyes.

Let it be his to hear the tale - and may be
It will not lose through being often told-
How you renounced your husband, home, and baby,
When he (the last named) was but eight months old.

Such be your answer!  Yet, O happy mother,
Is this the only question you foresee?
What will you say, suppose he asks another:-
'Meanwhile, dear Parent, who looked after me?'

   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***

MY TREASURES
(From 'Woman's World' - The Journal for Every Lady.
 One Penny.  1909.  )

My children, how many? Why bless you there's four
Two rollicking fun-loving boys
Who always give Mamma enough work to do
But working is one of my joys.

Dear Ruby, who 'helps Mamma lots' in her way,
And my baby so winning and sweet,
Bright jewels, adorning my wifehood's crown
In a house where angels may meet.

At the close of the day, I sit down beside
My baby, to lull her to sleep,
In sweet dreams of childhood the others repose,
Kind Father, Thy watch o'er them keep.

You ask am I worried with trouble and care
Ah no, it is restful and sweet
To be the fond mother of blossoms so fair,
To guide in the right their young feet.

Would I wish to exchange?  Not for kingdom or crown
Nor for all of your wealth, and your pleasures.
You keep your fair hands, and your couches of down,
I'll keep, what is best, my four treasures.

3 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful blog - and such great quotes/poems! What a well-timed post too, in view of Mother's Day this Sunday...

    Look forward to reading more!

    Jenny xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect for me and my Four Treasures! Lovely to see these old quotes, looking forward to many more xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete